At Sunshine we spend a lot of time and energy planning events and activities that extend beyond the working experience. We believe that a big part of the employee experience is the opportunity to socialize and enjoy some of the incredible advantages that living in the Rocky Mountains and Bow Valley has to offer.
Skiing & Riding Benefits
All full-time staff ski and ride free at Sunshine and receive big discounts at over 13 other amazing Canadian ski & snowboard resorts.
Every year HR plans an array of day and overnight trips for Sunshine Staff at reasonable prices. Here are some examples of group trips from previous years:
- Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, Panorama, Red Mountain, Marmot Basin, Big White and Fernie trips
- NHL hockey games in Calgary
- Calgary shopping trip
- West Edmonton mall trip
- Ice climbing
- Ice fishing
- Dog sledding
- Christmas staff mixer
- Snowboarding movie premieres
- Cleanest room contest for those with on-hill accommodation
- End of year 'May Madness' party with pig roast and DJ
- Night skiing for staff in the spring
- Moonlight snowshoe hike (can borrow snowshoes from our hotel)
- Avalanche training courses
- Employee of the Month dinner, part of our staff recognition program
- Australia Day activities
- Spring concert series in the Village, with past bands including Ill Scarlett, Aaron Pritchett, George Canyon and BC/DC
Our staff receives fantastic discounts at Sunshine Village, too. We offer discounts in our Food & Beverage outlets, retail store, on retal equipment and ski lessons.
- Retail Store- Products include snow pants, winter jackets, thermals, souvenirs and trail signs for example Staff discount of 20% on purchases of $20 or more
- Manager’s tickets- Discounts for friends and family on day tickets
- Brewster Transportation- 50% discount with valid staff pass to/from Calgary and Lake Louise
- Spousal pass- 75% discount to eligible spouses on season’s pass- proof of marriage or common- law required
- Food and Beverage Discounts- 25% discount on food (not alcohol) at all Food and Beverage outlets * Some restrictions apply*
- Sunshine Mountain Lodge 50% discount off rack rate when occupancy is less than 60%
- Ski and Snowboard lessons- 75% discount off group lessons based on availability. If there is limited availability discount is 25% off group lesson and 25% discount off private lessons
- Daycare- 60% discount on non-lesson daycare packages, 25% discount on daycare ski lessons for the day for your own child
- Rental Equipment-25% discount is applicable on rental and tech services. Tuning and repairs- 25% discount on any services over $10
Sunshine provides free transportation to those who live in Banff and Canmore to get to and from work in the mornings and evenings. There is also a public skier bus available that runs all day from Banff to the mountain that staff can purchase a subsidized bus pass for. The cost is $25 per month and is payroll deducted.
Employee meals are provided at a subsidized cost. On-hill and off-hill staff can payroll deduct up to 3 meals a day. Each meal averages $6.00 and are prepared and served in our staff cafeteria.
Staff cafe hours: 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., and 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. (7 days a week)
Sunshine Village is a 7 month winter season employer. Our wages and benefits are competitive with other ski areas in Alberta. Regardless, the decision to work for Sunshine Village should not be for financial gain. What we can offer is a unique experience of working at one of Canada's premier ski resorts. In addition, employees can take away an impressive work reference along with the satisfaction of having completed a full seasonal work contract and hopefully leave with a few skiing and snowboarding tricks under their belt!
The majority of our seasonal positions start at $9.75 per hour. For those positions serving alcohol the wage starts at $9.05 per hour plus gratuities.
Employee Recognition Program
At Sunshine Village we like to recognize our employees for a job well done, and our Employee of the Week program does just that. Nominations are collected throughout the season from co-workers, management and guests, winners are selected through a committee for going 'above and beyond' their usual duties & responsibilities. Winners are invited a special dinner where they get recognized for their achievements. From the weekly winner a monthly winner is also selected from this esteemed group of employees.