These annual days in December give residents of the Bow Valley, Alberta a chance to ski at a discounted rate while also raising money for great local causes. All ticket revenue is donated to the community.
“The Community Ski Days held at Sunshine Village, Lake Louise and Norquay are a wonderful opportunity for the big three resorts and Bow Valley residents to get together, have some fun and raise funds for a variety of wonderful causes in the area,” notes Sunshine Village vice-president John Scurfield.
“In 2011 Sunshine Village $3,700 donated to Banff Mineral Springs Hospital,” John said.
Since 2007, $27,765 has been raised by Sunshine. The funds raised have gone to numerous causes including:
- The Town of Banff trust fund for a new pedestrian bridge from Central Park to the recreation grounds.
- Canadian Rockies Public Schools for the Ski Banff-Lake Louise-Sunshine tri-area scholarship awarding Canmore Collegiate and Banff Community High School students displaying strong academic and athletic effort.
- The YWCA aiding the development of affordable accommodation for those new to the area.
- Canmore Community Daycare Society for their New Building Campaign to create a larger, modern and more efficient facility that will better serve the needs of the youngest members of our community and their families.
- The Banff Child Care Centre for playground upgrades to ensure a fun and safe environment for local children.
- Canadian Women's Biathlon Team to help in their goal to reach the 2010 Olympics to represent Canada and celebrate the growing success of this sport in the Bow Valley.
- The Lake Louise Sport and Recreation Society to improve facilities and encourage local health and fitness.