Sunshine Village Ski and Snowboard resort in Banff has over 107 named runs spread out over 3 mountains; Goat’s Eye Mountain, Lookout Mountain and Mount Standish. Having runs with names such as Bird Cage, Donkey’s tail and Jackrabbit one wonders the story behind their names. Take Jackrabbit for example, this run is located on Goats Eye Mountain off of the Jackrabbit quad chair lift. This run was named after a gentleman called Jack Rabbit Johansen who pioneered cross-country skiing in Canada. He built the first ski lift in Canada for cross-country skiers to use to improve their downhill technique. The story of Tin Can Alley which is located on Mount Standish off of the WaWa Quad chair dates back to the early 1900’s and some of the first travellers through the area. All the horse packers used to dump their tin cans and garbage at the bottom of the run. The dump has been since cleaned up. Donkey’s tail is one of the black diamond runs also located on Mount Standish, accessible by the Mount Standish high speed quad. It’s narrow, twisting little run between trees and rocks, looking back at ski tracks it must have reminded someone of a donkey’s tail or perhaps, the trees and rocks were a pain in the…! One of our most popular runs is located right in behind the Sunshine Mountain Lodge and accessed by the Wawa chair lift. Believe it or not this run in the summer is a beautiful waterfall, hence its run name of waterfall.